Register Here For The Next Federal Impact Workshop! REGISTER NOW
ProFeds Federal Retirement Impact Workshop
Workshop Training Agenda
General Information About Planning for Retirement
- Tips for being better prepared for a smooth transition into retirement
- Understanding what you have and what you need to know about decisions to make at retirement
Retirement Systems (CSRS & FERS)
- Eligibility requirements and how to choose an appropriate retirement date
- Deposits, Redeposits & Military Deposits
- Special Considerations for Law Enforcement Officers, Air Traffic Controllers, and Firefighters
- Calculating the CSRS & FERS annuity
- Cost of Living Adjustments in retirement
Survivor Benefit Plan
- Coverage, cost, considerations and who can benefit from SBP
Taxes on Federal Pensions
- Federal and state tax implications
FERS Special Retirement Supplement
- Eligibility requirements and calculation of the benefit
- What happens if you work after retiring
- Social Security
- Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)
- Government Pension Offset (GPO)
Federal Employees Group Life Insurance
Coverage and costs while employed
Federal Employees Health Benefits
- Tax advantage of FEHB while working
- Eligibility requirements to keep FEHB in retirement
- Coordination between FEHB and Medicare Part B
Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program
- What services Long Term Care insurance covers
- Coverage and costs for services
- Eligibility requirements to obtain coverage
Thrift Savings Plan
- Fund choices, tax advantages and options within the TSP while working
- How to maximize government contributions
- Options available at retirement
Tips to be proactive and understand the financial impact of the decisions to be made at retirement
Understand the Financial Impact of Retirement Decisions
About the workshop
ProFeds has developed a unique CSRS and FERS benefits workshop that is focused on helping federal employees apply what they are learning in the classroom to their own situation. Instead of teaching at a very technical level regarding the benefit rules, we aim to educate employees to know the financial impact of retirement and benefit decisions, and to make those decisions carefully based on sound information.
While federal benefits are often confusing and difficult to interpret, ProFeds is able to break down complex concepts into easy‐to‐understand language to show employees how proactive benefit decisions can positively affect their overall financial situation.
The employees who typically benefit most from this workshop are within 5‐10 years of retirement. Those closer to retirement often have specific questions and concerns regarding retirement decisions to be made—and that makes this workshop particularly relevant to their situation.
Tailoring the workshop to meet the needs of employees
With the wide array of federal employees we train, we know the importance of tailoring the workshop material to suit their specific needs. The most common accommodations we make are for audiences of Law Enforcement Officers, Air Traffic Controllers, and Firefighters.
Following the workshop
The financial professional who hosts the workshop offers each employee an opportunity to meet to review their specific situation and develop a personalized Federal Benefits Analysis together. This analysis helps to demonstrate the value of their benefits and identify key decisions to be made as they move closer to retirement. This benefits review is offered at no cost and no-obligation to the agency or employee.
ProFeds relationship with financial professionals
ProFeds is a nationwide support structure for financial professionals serving federal employees. The ProFeds team provides tailored training to financial professionals on the unique complexities of federal benefits to help them provide credible, top‐notch financial planning services to their federal clients. ProFeds is proud to be a federal contractor and make this workshop available free‐of‐charge to federal agencies exclusively through financial professionals in the nationwide ProFeds network.
What Attendees Say About the Workshop
"Go now and ask questions and take notes. Very good info for any stage of career."
J.G., San Antonio, TX
"Great seminar, received a lot of information."
M.P., San Antonio, TX
"You can't afford not to come."
B.C., Marion, TX
"Attend ASAP. Very informative."
L.W., San Antonio, TX
U.S. Air Force
"Great class with easy to understand info - Excellent!"
G.C., San Antonio, TX
U.S. Army, IMCOM
"You must attend it as soon as you think about retirement."
H.O., Bastrop, TX
Internal Revenue Service
"Do it early in your career and bring your spouse."
M.F., San Antonio, TX
National Park Service
"Need to attend, because what you thought you knew about retirement is actually very little."
R.M., Pearsall, TX
Customs and Border Protection
"It is well worth your time and informative."
C.M., Junction, TX
U.S. Postal Service
"Very detailed and knowledgeable on the subject of retirement. Take class with your spouse."
G.A., San Antonio, TX
U.S. Border Patrol
"Take it as early in your career as you can to start the planning process."
A.C., Live Oak, TX
Transportation Security Administration
"Good pace, relevant information, opportunity for follow up support."
R.J., San Antonio, TX
U.S. Army / HRCOE
Not approved by, endorsed by, or affiliated with the U.S. Government or any governmental agency.